Department of Public Works and Engineering
The City of Houston Public Works and Engineering Department provides many of the basic services that affect the daily lives of everyone who lives and works in Houston. Primarily, the department is responsible for all the things we take for granted on a daily basis: the administration, planning, maintenance, construction management and technical engineering of the City's infrastructure. This includes the production and distribution of over 146 billion gallons of water per year and the treatment of over 90 billion gallons per year of wastewater. That is enough to fill the Astrodome four times per day with fresh water and over twice per day with wastewater. It also includes the maintenance of the City's over 16,000 lane miles of streets, over 60,000 stormwater manholes, over 100,000 stormwater inlets, over 1,100,000 street name and traffic control signs, over 17,000 freeway and under bridge light fixtures, over 50,000 fire hydrants and traffic signals at over 2,450 intersections.
Public Works Headlines
- Houston Water Quality - Chromium Facts | English | Español | Tiếng Việt
- Taste and Odor in Drinking Water - Questions and Answers
- Lead in Drinking Water Information for Schools and Child Care Facility Customers of the City of Houston Municipal Water Supply
- City Water Safe to Drink After Warehouse Fire: Resources Are Available for Private Wells
- FRAUD NOTICE - CITY OF HOUSTON WATER CUSTOMERS
- FY 2014 - 2015 Standard Review (Streets and Pavement) Public Comment Period - Chapters 6, 10 and 12
- C.I.P. Map Viewer
- FY17 Engineering and Construction Management Services Selections
City of Houston Construction Projects
City of Houston 311 Service Line
If you notice missing storm grates in your community, don't forget to call the City Help Line 713-837-0311 or 3-1-1 from your cell phone. You can always go on line to the City of Houston 311 Service Directory and report any issue that needs attention.