Substitute Service Line Program
For the health, safety and welfare of the citizens of Houston, the Substitute Service Line Program (SSLP) provides water and wastewater service line relocations (substitute services) to water or wastewater mains within the public right-of-way.
A water or wastewater service line is a pipe from the water or wastewater main, respectively, to the point of connection – business or residential home to be served. SSLP includes the abandonment of (1) aged, worn or defected main lines that are subject to excessive leaks or sudden failure, (2) main lines located such that access for repairs or maintenance is prevented or hindered, and (3) old main lines which lack sufficient capacity to provide adequate service meeting general City standards.
The program is further described as follows:
Requests for Rights-of-Entry:
Department of Public Works and Engineering (PWE) requests owners or tenants of property sign a Right-of-Entry document to grant PWE personnel or contractors (City representatives) entry onto real property. City representatives need access to the property to perform work associated with the service line relocation, including the construction of it. Work associated with the service line relocations and abandonment of lines is only performed after all ROE's within the project limits are received.
Service Reconnection Phase:
City representatives construct a service lead, if none exist, fromthe sewer main to each property. A service line to the service lead is then constructed.
PHOTOS BEFORE DURING AND AFTER SERVICE LINE RELOCATION.
Follow these links for more information:
- Substitute Service Line Program Code of Ordinances
- Substitute Service Line Program Wastewater FAQ's
- Substitute Service Line Program Wastewater FAQ's - SPANISH
- Substitute Service Line Program Water FAQ's
- Substitute Service Line Program Water FAQ's - SPANISH
- Substitute Service Line Program Wastewater Right of Entry Form - ENGLISH
- Substitute Service Line Program Wastewater Right of Entry Form - SPANISH
- Substitute Service Line Program Water Right of Entry Form - ENGLISH
- Substitute Service Line Program Water Right of Entry Form - SPANISH